The “Compétences et Talents” Card [fr]

If you have a project, the three-year, renewable “Compétences et Talents” card allows you to exercise the professional activity of your choice in connection with your project, without the need of an employment authorization.

You may be granted this card if you are likely to make a significant or lasting contribution, through your skills or talents, to France’s economic development or to its intellectual, scientific, cultural, humanitarian or athletic prestige, and directly or indirectly, to that of your own country.

If you reside in Ontario or Manitoba, you may apply at the Consulate General of France in Toronto. The decision to issue this card is up to the consular authorities.

Your family members (spouse and underage children) will be issued a “Vie Privée et Familiale” card. This card allows your spouse to legally work in France.

What are the criteria

The criteria are defined by the Commission Nationale des Compétences et Talents, which meets in France at least twice a year.

- The applicant must submit a credible professional project meeting the criteria set forth by the National Commission.

PDF - 24.7 kb
Critères - carte compétences et talents
(PDF - 24.7 kb)

- The applicant must supply proof that he/she is in every way capable of carrying out this project.
- The application will be accepted/rejected based on

  • the project’s interest/quality
  • the applicant’s motivation/commitment
  • the applicant’s skills and qualifications
  • the means to carry out the project.

Who might be eligible?

- University graduates
- Qualified professionals, regardless of their level of education
- Investors in an economic project
- Independent professionals such as artists, authors, athletes, etc.
- Senior manager and high level executives employed by a French company that is part of an international group

Application Package

- 2 long-stay visa applications : Long Stay application form
- 3 standard-size photos
- Valid passport with at least one page for a visa stamp + copy of main pages. Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago (first issuance). Even if it has been renewed since then by your country, we will decline your passport for a visa application and you will have to renew it prior to applying.
* Refugees: persons residing in Canada with refugee status, even if they hold permanent resident cards, must have in their possession a travel document for refugees, 1951 Geneva Convention Model.

- Any document proving legal entry and residency in Canada : permanent resident card, valid Canadian visa, Canadian citizenship card, brith certificate if you were born in Canada + photocopy (permanent resident card must be copied on both sides)
- Police record from the country where the applicant has resided for the last three years
- Detailed CV
- Long-stay visa application fee (click for amount)
- Detailed letter describing the professional project and specifying its interest for France and for the applicant’s country of origin
- Any document confirming the applicant’s likelihood of completing the project

- 1 Xpresspost envelope

Depending on the type of project, other documents are necessary:

To hold a salaried position:

- copy of highest-level diploma and job title
- local tax return
- letter from employer explaining the recruitment of the employee and specifying his/her duties;
- copy of employment contract, unless exception is granted
- CERFA form (foreign employee authorization request – simplified contract).

PDF - 158.4 kb
Demande d’autorisation de travail pour un travailleur étranger – contrat de travail simplifié
(PDF - 158.4 kb)

To exercise a commercial, industrial or artisanal profession

- the documents enumerated in points A-1 and B of article I of the attachment to the degree of September 12, 2007, concerning the documents to be produced for the issuance of a temporary residence card authorizing the exercise of a commercial, industrial or artisanal activity (click here for list).

PDF - 101.4 kb
Profession commerciale, industrielle ou artisanale : liste des pièces.
(PDF - 101.4 kb)

To exercise an independent profession (liberal professions, artists, writers, athletes, etc.)

- copy of highest-level diplomas and job titles
- local tax return
- if necessary, documents establishing the applicant’s reputation.

For the accompanying family (spouse and minor children)

- 2 long-stay visa applications (download here)
- 3 standard-size photos
- Passport valid at least three months after the expiry date of the visa. + photocopy of PAGES WITH PICTURE, EXPIRY DATE OF PASSPORT, VISAS ISSUED, ALL STAMPS
- Civil registry documents establishing family connection with the “competences et talents” applicant.

Last modified on 23/11/2016

top of the page